history of olive-growing in the triest district
d.o.p. »tergeste«
producers and productions
the local variety
tasters
geography
bibliography
national association »citta' dell'olio«
news

GEOGRAPHY

Olive-growing in the Triest district developed since ancient times in the warmest and less exposed areas of its territory, especially in the towns of Muggia and San Dorligo della Valle-Dolina, territories which geographically belong to the Istrian peninsula. Still today, these areas account for 75% of olive trees and are the only ones where old olive trees, those which weathered the 1929 freezing winter, can be found.

The presence of trees on the afore mentioned soils is mainly random and typical of family growings.

The most significant specialized growings are to be found in three specific areas: the oldest one is the Monte Usello - Čelo growing, by Bagnoli della Rosandra, and recently specialized olive-groves have been grown on the Dolga Krona - Monte d’Oro, everything within the Bagnoli della Rosandra, Caresana and Aquilinia areas. Smaller olive-groves are present in Chiampore and San Bartolomeo.
The rest of the Triest district towns accounts for the remaining 25% of olive-groves.

The olive tree is basically missing from the Monrupino area, it is present in very small amounts in the Sgonico area, whereas the towns of Triest and Duino-Aurisina account for small olive-growing soils, once only overlooking the sea while today also present in the less exposed areas of the plateau (Malchina, Slivia, San Pelagio).

© 2006 All Rights Reserved.  |  Tergeste D.O.P.  |  info@tergestedop.it